Monday, January 28, 2013

I'm Cured and headed to NC!

Well first let me say, I'm cured! We met with Dr. Northfelt last Tuesday and he said they considered me cured when I was wheeled out of the operating room on December 21. Maybe I should have realized this since all the cancer tissue was removed but it was definitely nice to hear him say. Everything else we're doing is just part of the long term plan to decrease risk of recurrence.

That being said, this morning I go for my radiation simulation. I'm not sure what all is involved but I do know I will at least have a better idea of what will be happening when I actually start my treatments. I should also find out for sure when they will start radiation but I think it will be next Monday. It can't be any sooner than Monday because I won't be here!

I'm also getting blood drawn for the BRAC Analysis, the other 20% of the genetic testing. Our insurance switched this year and our new provider covers this portion of the test. Not that it will change anything for me for now, but it will help for decisions down the road. If it comes back abnormal, the biggest thing it will do right now is determine whether it is recommended that my siblings to get tested and whether I'm at a higher risk for ovarian cancer. That risk would just mean they'd recommend a hysterectomy after I'm done having kids but no later than around age 40.

Later today Mark and I are headed for a long overdue trip to NC and I'm super excited! All the doctors said it was fine to travel, I'm just not allowed to put my carryon in the overhead bin. We'll get to spend time with family and friends we haven't seen since we were last there in May or possibly even since last January when we left. And we get to meet some babies that were born since we were last there...including our nephew Wynn. Hopefully we get to meet a newborn if Dennis and Ashley's little girl decides to make her appearance before we leave.

1 comment: