Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Last Two Weeks

New Cabinet Doors
Two weekends ago we set out to make the cabinet doors for our wall of cubby holes in the living room. We started with 8 pieces of select pine boards and routed the edges so that we could insert a panel. After testing the process on one board, we finished routing all 8 boards and then cut them to length to make the 8 doors. After sanding, we glued the doors together and inserted the panels. After priming and painting white, we hung the doors and added hardware. Right now they are trim white on a blue wall but we're not 100% sure that they will stay that way. We might paint the wall white or paint the doors blue but we're going to leave them how they are for now and see what we think after a while. Here is our step by step process.

Boards before cutting
Test run
The joint
Routing the boards
After routing
I promise, I do help...cleaning up
...and sanding
After gluing one door together
One down...seven more to go
Sanding some more
Testing out what they will look like
Priming the doors
Another look at what the doors will look like
Painting with white trim paint
Adding the hinges
Mounting the doors
Adding the door handles
All done!
Close up
My New Car!!!
My civic was getting kind of old and was just 1,500 miles shy of the 200,000 mark. Not to mention it was doing some funny things and we didn't feel comfortable taking it for long road trips anymore. So, a few weeks ago we starting talking about what cars we'd be interested in getting instead. At first, Mark and I were on two different pages. He wanted a two-door fast car and/or convertible. I wanted a sedan. We settled somewhat in the middle. We focused our searches on Infiniti G35s and V6 Honda Accords. Last Tuesday when I was getting my weekly chemo, we had quite a bit of free time to browse the online selections and found a few options to go look at after we got done. Our first stop was at Chapman Ford in Scottsdale to see a V6 2008 Honda Accord EX-L. Low mileage, priced to sell, leather interior, nice ride. We took it for a test drive after the dealership confirmed that the people who tried to buy it the night before didn't have their financing together yet so it was still for sell. They really wanted to sell it that night and asked what it would take for us to buy it and not go look at the other car we were going to see. Well, Mark put on his negotiating hat and after we did some figuring, we gave them a number. They countered and we got them to knock another $300 off the price before settling on a deal too good to pass up.

YAY...I have a new-to-me car and I LOVE IT. We drove it to the Grand Canyon this weekend and although the gas mileage isn't as good as my Civic, it's still pretty good. It might take me a little adjusting to filling up the bigger tank but luckily I don't have as long as a commute here as I did back home.

Our new car
Treatments the Past Two Weeks
All is still going well. Unfortunately I've gotten another side effect...my hair has started to fall out. I noticed that it started falling out more than normal on Monday July 16. It definitely falls out more in the shower and when I brush it afterward than any other time but it's definitely getting pretty thin. So thin that I've bought a few scarfs and am in the process of knitting a cute hat to wear. I also have a wig that I got from the American Cancer Society and Carolyn and I went to a local wig store and I've got another wig on order. Maybe it won't all fall out but right now it's too thin for me to feel comfortable going out in public without at least a hat.

As far as my wig that is on order - I'm not sure that I'm going to get it. We confirmed TWICE with our insurance company that the place I was going was in-network. Both times we were told yes. After I ordered the wig and the people at the shop informed us that they have trouble getting Cigna to cover more than $300 and told me I'd have to pay the difference, we called insurance again (we don't have a maximum amount on wigs so wanted to confirm). After they actually looked into it a little more we found out that the place they've told me is in-network isn't actually in-network for wigs, only the other prosthetic accessories they sell. Cigna keeps telling me their preferred wig retailer is a website. How the heck are you supposed to buy a wig online that looks and feels good/normal?!?! Anyway, Cigna said if I choose to buy the one I've ordered, I can appeal the claim since we were misled by a representative but there is no guarantee. I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. I haven't gotten a call from the shop telling me the wig is here and they said it would be here last Thursday or Friday. Maybe they are assuming I'm not getting it since they may have just found out that they don't have coverage with Cigna. We'll see what the week brings.

The Grand Canyon
When Carolyn and Robert were here in March, we were going to go to the Grand Canyon but because of snow, we had to change our plans. Carolyn asked if we could go while she was here this time so on Saturday so we took her up there. We drove up on Saturday morning and had packed a picnic lunch to enjoy in the park but when we got there a storm was just blowing through. The temperature dropped down to 60 and the rain drops were big and cold. It was a little chilly but kind of a nice change to the 100+ temperatures we're stuck with these days. At our last stop in the park at the Watchtower, a dust storm was blowing through. It was pretty cool seeing it dissipate in the canyon. We were in the park for about 4-5 hours before we drove back home, stopping in Flagstaff for dinner on the way back. One of these days we're going to stay up there and see a sunset over the canyon but here are some of the shots I got this trip. Oh yeah, it was Bentley's first trip too.

There goes I-40 again
Keeping an eye out for Sasquatch for Dennis
Where Bentley rode at least half the trip there
Picnic in the car at an overlook
Fixing sandwiches
Bentley got some too
Mmmm, PB&J
Carolyn's first outside view at Mather Point
Wandering in the rain



Some Elk along the road in the park
Look at those antlers
I wish someone would teach me how to use my camera to actually capture the colors better


Bentley was checking out the view too
Mark on one of his many exploits from the overlooks















The watchtower
Dust storm!






The lighting through the dust turned out pretty cool here

We stopped at the sign on the way out. We always forget on the way in.
Bentley was tuckered out on Sunday from her big day to the Grand Canyon
And we are now the proud owners of an annual Grand Canyon pass if anyone is looking to go in the next year. It was only an additional $25 than the regular $25 admission and we figure someone else is bound to want to go within the next 12 months. So, if that's you...let us know! Mark or I just have to go with you...or you have to be able to pass as one of us with an ID.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Patti!
    Love the Grand Canyon pics... so beautiful! Ponder & I are thinking of you all the time. You are so amazing and brave. Thanks for being you. Can't wait to visit you and Mark in the AZ.
    Love, Love, LOVE you!
    Cristine

    PS Kydan is walking!!!

    ReplyDelete