I was headed out to run an errand on Monday afternoon and noticed the solar division of the roofing company that helps with the install parked on the street. I stopped to ask if they were here to see us and sure enough, they were. But they didn't need me to stick around because they were just coming to work on the roof. And what were they up to with their leaf blower, air compressor and lots of little piles? They were removing roof tiles and attaching posts to our roof to hold the mounting bars.
![]() |
| End of Day 1 - Tiles were removed and posts added to hold the mounting hardware |
Wednesday morning I was prepared. I woke up at 6:45 to be ready for the install guys because I was told they would need attic access. There were 2 cars outside at 7 and I kept waiting for them to ring the doorbell. By 7:30 I decided I'd just check on them. Turns out they were waiting for supplies so they didn't need me yet. But, I did find out where the inverter was going in the garage so I was able to move some stuff around for them while we waited.
![]() |
| Aurora Inverter - This is the box that does the magic and turns the energy output from the solar panels into power we can use. |
![]() |
| The new meters that are connected into our breaker box. And yes our breaker box is outside which seems to be the norm in AZ. |
![]() |
| Pile o' Panels - To me, these panels looked like nothing more than REALLY, REALLY EXPENSIVE dry erase boards from behind :) |
![]() |
| Front view of a solar panel (about 3 ft x 5 ft) |
While they were installing panels and Mark was working, Ryan and I did some grocery shopping for their trip. We had lunch with Mark and then I dragged Ryan to my LAST CANCER RELATED DOCTOR APPOINTMENT FOR 3 MONTHS!!! Whatever am I going to do with myself now. Oh right. Go back to work. On Monday. Boo. But, a necessary evil.
The "break" between appointments is 3 months this time because I have to go in for a trial "checkup" appointment every 6 months and I went in January so I'll go back to meet with the trial coordinator and my oncologist in July. Then I'll be on the 6 month cycle, unless I feel I need to see them for anything in between.
When we got back, the install team was gone and we were left with a nice and neat roof full of solar panels. Only thing left is the city inspection which should take place tomorrow. If all goes well, we should start producing our own power in about a month after they inspection goes through all the red tape. Before the install team left, they turned the system on for Mark to show the meter running backwards CREATING OUR OWN POWER FOR THE FIRST TIME, even on the overcast day we were having today. Super exciting! I can't wait to see how it affects our power bill. Supposedly it will knock it by 44% based on last years usage but I'll keep my fingers crossed for more :)
![]() |
| Mounting Hardware - can you see those horizontal lines? |
![]() |
| Our team spreading the panels out on the roof |
![]() |
| End of day 4 - TA DA! All done! |








No comments:
Post a Comment