Saturday, February 11, 2012

Downsizing a Car...Upsizing our Home

We finally started getting into a more "normal" routine this week, especially with me starting work on Tuesday. This week it consisted of: let Bentley out (still haven't figured out what to do about her doggie door - buy a taller one for the taller sliding glass door or buy one to insert in the side of the house which is quite the norm out here), get ready and head to work, come home, make and eat dinner, unpack boxes, sleep and repeat. We'll probably be in this working-on-the-house routine for a while with the unpacking, painting and landscaping we want to do. I'll be sure to post new pictures when we have everything situated. I think at this point every room in the house still has at least one box in it, even if it's isn't for that room. But all-in-all, I think it's coming along quite well besides the fact that we don't quite fill up all the space. Don't worry, I'll fix that in no time at all :)

I started my new job at an AZ credit union this week and so far so good. My job is a combination of responsibilities - I'll be the liaison for all of our marketing efforts with the 7 branches, do copy-writing, eventually start up an email campaign for the CU, be the event point person, among other things. I think it's going to be quite interesting actually.  A little different, sure, but it seems a LOT less stressful than TFM was. My team, two other people, seem pretty stressed with this event we have coming up in two weeks, but I just don't feel it. It's probably because I'm new but hopefully I'll still feel that way in another few months.

I did succeed in showing off my southern roots already at work. We're working in a grand opening event for a new branch and part of it is a BBQ. Well, they kept throwing around the term BBQ and talking about serving hamburgers and hot dogs so when we were talking to the radio contact for advertising, I did clarify that we're really serving hamburgers and hot dogs.  She said well that's BBQ. Luckily my boss isn't from here either and quickly caught on what I was getting at which led to the tangent that I'm new to town....clearly. I'm just saying, I'd be upset if I went to a BBQ and there wasn't any pig. This of course is going to lead to a crockpot pork butt later this week.

Mark's been talking for a few months about down-sizing his car - the drive isn't that great, he's tired of buying premium fuel and we just don't need such a big car. We decided on a Limited 4x4 4Runner because it is smaller but still has a big enough engine to pull the boat. Problem is, they are really hard to come by. Before he went to register his car today, he did a quick search and found one in Tucson (2 hours South of Phoenix). It had everything he wanted except navigation but he can install an after market system. So, after work, we drove to Tucson to test drive it. Now we're back home with our new car! We've got to take it back down next weekend to get the front painted (stipulation of the sell because it looked like it had driven through a sand storm) but there is some cool hiking down there so we're okay with that...Lemon Mountain, we're coming back next weekend!


You might not think much of this but that is 23.6 MPG...that's 10 MPG better than the Infiniti had and on regular fuel. We were pretty excited!
We don't have much planned for the weekend. I want to go to IKEA and get some shelves for my craft room (but might wait until next weekend) and continue unpacking. I know Ryley wants to see our pool so we'll probably do some skyping with the Jones tomorrow, maybe even try to skype with Lilli too. I bet they've all changed :( Anyone else miss us and want to see our beautiful faces? Don't everyone jump at once, we do have quite a bit more unpacking to do.

The only other thing we need to do this weekend is finalize our landscaping plans so we can submit them to the HOA before the monthly review next week since we definitely want to get to work on that project before it starts getting too hot.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment